If you ask any student affairs professional right now what they are up to, they probably have one word that sums up their day, COMMENCEMENT! They either have their own campus graduation ceremony coming up in weeks or days and they are busy proof reading programs, double checking students names and majors; as well as, making sure the caterer knows the correct time to drop off the cakes.
Or Commencement is done, and they took a much needed day off. Yay! Where ever you are, I hear ya! As a floor manager of 9 commencement ceremonies and the co-chair of two commencement ceremonies, life right now is ALL about commencement.
If this is your first time running commencement or your 15th, know there will always be something that comes up and we all know you are doing your best to keep up. To make it fun, here are my top 10 to help you stay one step ahead but also to remember, that sometimes there will always be something that happens.
10) There will always be a student who forgets their gown.
9) There will always be a student running in late to find a seat.
8) There will always be a student who decides at the last minute they want to walk.
7) There will always be something-for example the cakes are late, there are not enough programs or not enough ushers. It’s okay. The show will go on.
6) There will always be a speaker who doesn’t speak loud enough.
5) There will always be a speaker who will speak too long.
4) There will always be a student who does something funny on stage.
3) There will always be a student who walks the wrong way.
2) There will always be a faculty member who arrives without their gown expecting you to have extra, including the color for their degree.
1) There will always be a student who walked, who’s name did not end up in the program, and a mom wanting to know why.
Whatever it maybe, the important thing is another commencement happen and one more student earned their degree.
Congratulations to the class of 2014!!